Octagam IVIG infusion
Octagam is a brand of intravenous immunoglobulin, a sterile solution containing highly purified antibodies derived from the plasma of healthy donors. These antibodies are essential components of the immune system and serve various therapeutic purposes in individuals with specific medical conditions.
- Medical Applications: Octagam is prescribed for a range of medical conditions, including primary immunodeficiency disorders, autoimmune diseases, and certain neurological disorders. Patients with compromised immune systems or those who require immune system modulation may benefit from Octagam therapy.
- Mechanism of Action: The primary mechanism of Octagam involves the infusion of immunoglobulins, which are antibodies that play a crucial role in defending the body against infections. By introducing a concentrated source of antibodies, Octagam aims to enhance the patient’s immune response or regulate abnormal immune activity.
- Administration and Dosage: Octagam is typically administered intravenously, meaning it is introduced directly into the bloodstream. The dosage and frequency of administration vary depending on the specific medical condition being treated. Some patients may receive Octagam in a hospital setting, while others may be trained for at-home administration.
- Side Effects and Risks: Like any medication, Octagam is associated with potential side effects. Common side effects may include headache, fatigue, and nausea. Serious but rare side effects may include allergic reactions or blood clotting issues. It’s crucial for patients to undergo Octagam therapy under medical supervision to monitor for and address any adverse reactions promptly.
- Patient Experience: Patients undergoing Octagam therapy often report improvements in their symptoms and quality of life. For those with immunodeficiency disorders, the treatment can bolster their immune defenses. Patients with autoimmune diseases may experience a reduction in symptoms due to the immunomodulatory effects of Octagam.
- Cost and Availability: The cost of Octagam therapy can vary, and it may be influenced by factors such as dosage, frequency of administration, and healthcare provider charges. Availability is generally contingent on the healthcare infrastructure of a given region.
Liquid, ready-to-use 5% and 10% human immune globulin intravenous liquid preparation for intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg).1,2
- Octagam® 5% is supplied in 1.0g, 2.5g, 5g, or 10 g single-use bottles.1
- Octagam® 10% is supplied in 2 g, 5 g, 10 g and 20 g single-use bottles.2
Get in touch: